Maintain Good Dental Health
Your smile is one of the first things people notice about you. It is important to take care of it right from the start. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends that children visit the dentist within six months of their first tooth and before their first birthday for a “Well Baby Check Up.” February is Dental Health Month.
Recommendations for good dental health include:
- Brushing your teeth for two minutes, twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
- Flossing daily
- Avoiding sugary and starchy snacks
- Wearing a mouth guard when you’re active
- Not smoking
- Not piercing your lips or any part of your mouth
- Getting dental sealants
- Considering a fluoride program if your water is not fluoridated
- Visiting your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleaning
Children with good oral health have better attendance and fewer problems in school.
For information about the School Health Program visit www.hcdpbc.org/schoolhealth